The Staff-Parish Relations Committee is responsible for Human Resources – the management of personnel policy, staff compensation, and pastor relations.
SPRC normally meets monthly. Confidential matters are handled in closed meetings.
The Staff-Paris Relations Committee is made up of nine members in three rotating panels. The Pastor, Lay Leader, and Lay Member/Delegate to Annual Conference are also part of the Committee. Specific responsibilities of SPRC include:
- Consult with Bishop and District Superintendent concerning pastoral appointments
- Promote unity in the church
- Encourage, strengthen, nurture, monitor, support, and respect pastors and their families, staff members, and lay leaders
- Confer with and counsel pastors and staff on effectiveness and ministries
- Confer with pastors and staff on priorities in use of gifts, skills and time
- Consult with and support continuing education, work-life balance, and spiritual renewal for pastors and staff
- Recommend to Charge Conference candidates for lay and ordained ministry
- Hire, contact, promote, and/or dismiss staff personnel
- Recommend compensation, benefits and housing plans for Church Council
- Communicate and interpret to the congregation the nature and function of ministry in the UMC regarding open inveteracy (movement of pastor)
- Develop and approve job descriptions for most staff and pastoral positions