Mt. Joy Methodist Episcopal Church was one of the earliest African American congregations established in Carroll County. In 1858, formerly enslaved Singleton Hughes and his wife Eliza purchased the property for the church from free landowners Barney and Catherine Dunson. An ordained minister, Hughes organized the first meetings of the Mt. Joy congregation in a private residence. In 1880, a frame church was built using materials salvaged from a demolished church. Although the Mt. Joy Church was on Uniontown’s west side, it mainly served the African American community on the east side of town. The church was used until 1962 and was demolished in 1975. The Mt. Joy Cemetery remains, and a marker shows the former site of the church.
Mt Joy CemeteryAdministrator2021-11-21T21:31:15-05:00